The DS1971 has 256 bits of EEPROM that can store information about the product to which it is attached. The iButton form factor and 1-Wire interface make the information easily and quickly accessible with minimal hardware, such as one port pin of a microcontroller. The port interface provides the physical link and handles the communication protocols that enable the processor to access iButton resources with simple commands.
With the right accessory—such as plastic key fobs, photo ID badges, mounts, and retainers—a DS1971 can be easily mounted on printed circuit boards, machinery, or containers, or be carried or worn by people. The 64-bit registration number provides a unique electronic address. Applications include work-in-progress tracking, time and attendance, access control, and storage of calibration constants in environmental controls and manufacturing equipment.
• 256-bit of EEPROM organized as one page
• 64-bit one-time programmable application register
• 1-Wire interface reduces power, control, and all data signals to a single data pin
• 8-bit family code specifies communication requirements to reader
• Voltage operating range: 2.8V to 6.0V
• Thermal operating range: -40°C to +85°C
• >10 years data retention
Common iButton Features
• Digital Identification and Information by Momentary Contact.
• Unique, Factory-Lasered and Tested 64-Bit Registration Number (8-Bit Family Code + 48-Bit Serial Number + 8-Bit CRC Tester) - Assures Absolute Traceability Because no Two Parts are alike.
• Multidrop Controller for 1-Wire Net.
• Chip-Based Data Carrier Compactly Stores Information.
• Data Can be Accessed While Affixed to Object.
• Button Shape is Self-Aligning with Cup-Shaped Probes.
• Durable Stainless Steel Case Engraved with Registration Number Withstands Harsh Environments.
• Easily Affixed with Self-Stick Adhesive Backing, Latched by its Flange, or Locked with a Ring Pressed Onto its Rim.
• Presence Detector Acknowledges When Reader First Applies Voltage.
• Meets UL#913 (4th Edit.). Intrinsically Safe Apparatus: Approved Under Entity Concept for Use in Class I, Division 1, Group A, B, C and D Locations (application pending).